Research Strategy for Beginners aka The Research Process (A-Z) (Part One)
Saturday 2nd February 2013
S. Akinmayọwa Lawal
Indigo Postgraduate Researcher and Petulante Candidate Centre for Global Health, Trinity College Dublin, Dublin two, Ireland. Email: [email protected] for instance
Outline of Presentation (1)
• • • • • • • • • What is Research? Your research Spectrum (Types of Research) Differences in Study Spectrum Methods in Exploration Methodology Methods of Executing Research Choosing a Research Subject? What is a Analysis Problem? Causes of the Research Issue Why the investigation Problem prior to the Objective
Describe of Demonstration (2)
• • • • • • • • • Selecting an Objective of the Study Research Issue Significance with the Study Scope of the Examine Research Hypotheses Types of hypotheses Analysis Assumptions Clarifying Concepts (Definition of Terms) International Research Agencies
Precisely what is Research?
Studies an effort to study or perhaps obtain knowledge through the use of a systematic approach together with the intent of clarification.
Research is a systematic research designed to develop or bring about knowledge (Olayinka, Taiwo, Raji-Oyelade and Farai, 2006).
Research is a systematic pondering strategy that involves a planned and formalised collection, research and model of data intended for problem solving.
Your research process is actually a formalised method which includes: • • • • Determining and determining the problem Reviewing existing materials Formulating suitable research questions and speculation Collecting relevant data to answer the research queries or check the ideas • Analysing the data to reply to the research question or to check the hypotheses • Drawing necessary inference or realization based on the end result of the research
The Research Variety (Types of Research)
Preliminary research • This encompasses theoretical, experimental or practical work undertaken mostly to acquire fresh knowledge with no specific program in view.
Applied Research This kind of refers to an original work undertaken to acquire fresh knowledge with a specific practical application in view.
Trial and error Research This is work undertaken for the purpose of attaining technological progression for the purpose of creating new, or perhaps improving existing materials, products, products or perhaps processes.
Variations in Research Spectrum
• Fresh: the objective may be the achievement of technological growth • Standard and used: the objective is definitely the advancement of scientific know-how
Approaches in Research Strategy
This presents a picture from the specific information on a situation, cultural setting or perhaps relationship, and much of interpersonal research seen in scholarly journals or employed for policy decisions is descriptive (Neuman, 1994). Descriptive research are designed to show accurately you will of a particular situation, community or group; they also uncover the regularity with which an event occurs or with which it truly is associated with additional events.
This are research designed to explore a new subject or issue, to gain familiarity with a phenomenon or to accomplish new ideas into it, often in order to produce a more exact research difficulty or to develop hypotheses (Stellitz et 's, 1976).
A great exploratory study may be the initially stage within a sequence of studies; it could be conducted in order to know enough to design and execute a second, more organized and intensive study.
This really is designed to find out why things are the way they will be, or to make clear situations or perhaps social phenomena. It creates on disovery and detailed research and goes on to recognize the reason why something occurs.
Desired goals of Descriptive, Exploratory, and Explanatory Research Descriptive Research
• Offer an accurate account of a group • Illustrate a process, device or relationship
• Become familiar with the basic facts, people and concerns included...